Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sarah's Anatomy


"When I was eight, my parents divorced and my mother and I moved to San Diego from Mexico. Between the culture shock of coming from another country and the stigma of having an accent (I heard my share of “Do you have a green card?” jokes), I always felt like I stuck out. On top of all that, I was a lot taller and bigger-boned than most girls my age. My mom did a great job of raising me; this story is not about her. But I think she was very critical of her own body and projected that onto me. There were times when she felt she needed to lose 20 pounds, and therefore I also needed to lose 20 pounds. The mentality was, we should lose weight. As a result, I grew up wanting to look like someone else rather than appreciating the body I had." - Sarah Ramirez (taken from Glamour magazine)


1 comment:

HPS said...

i LOVE sarah ramirez for being a confident, beautiful actress who isn't another cardboard cutout of 95% of her peers. she's sending such a powerful message to generation of young women - and young men, as they're taught what to find sexy - who watch grey's anatomy. which, of course, EVERYone should!