Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Aisha Tyler Poses Nude, "Worked Out Like Crazy" to Show Her "Real Body"

Aisha Tyler wrote the article "Real Women, Real Bodies" for the new issue of Glamour (Apr 10) which focuses on body image.

"You see these young actresses and these young girls and they're, like, killing themselves to be skinny, and that's just crazy," Aisha told ET. "This is really like a 'stop the insanity' kind of piece that I wanted to do," she explains. "You want to have the strength to live your life and do the things that you want to do, and you can't do that if you're starving to death. Stop making yourselves crazy."

Tyler says she believes runway models AND role models "are starving themselves to death" with "this crazy obsession."

"Young girls see these women, and they seem fabulous, and they've got great clothes, and they look beautiful and they're at the great parties," says Aisha, "and they think, 'If I starve myself, if I make myself super skinny, I'll be as fabulous as that person.' They don't realize that a lot of these girls are miserable, sick and on drugs; [their] hair is falling out and they look awful up close."

When asked about how she felt about posing nude, she says "I was very nervous, and I worked out like crazy the month before. I'm just like anybody else. I wake up in the morning and sometimes I feel sexy and foxy; sometimes I wake up and I feel like a potato with feet."

Also featured in the new Glamour issue on body image are Kate Beckinsale (on the cover) "Lost" tv star Yunjin Kim, tennis pro Steffi Graf, Brooklyn-based modern dance company Urban Bush Women, plus-sized model Kailee O'Sullivan and a trio of "Dancing with the Stars" dancers: Kym Johnson, Edyta Sliwinska and Cheryl Burke, who each offer their two cents on body image.

"In Hollywood, everyone is retouched, stretched, lengthened, slimmed and trimmed," says Kate Beckinsale. "I could look at a picture of myself and think, 'Why don't I look like that now?' It's because I never have!"

3 comments:

littlem said...

"Stop making yourselves crazy."

"When asked about how she felt about posing nude, she says "I was very nervous, and I worked out like crazy the month before. I'm just like anybody else. I wake up in the morning and sometimes I feel sexy and foxy; sometimes I wake up and I feel like a potato with feet."

Oh, dear.

Nobility and coolness of the included celebs notwithstanding, did anyone interview her afterward and ask her about all that irony?

Icie said...

I agree 100%. She just underlined herself what women go through, yet she's preaching a completely different message throughout the rest of the interview.

Ritterorden said...

For me, the model that really stood out as most appealing was Kailee O'Sullivan. She has the most natural figure, and didn't like like she had "worked out like crazy the month before." And I enjoyed her comment about the scale.

More images I found:

- Kailee O'Sullivan
.